Thursday, April 3, 2014

Lark

My quest to blog every day for Lent has not gone all that well, but I'm back to it as we prepare for Holy Week.


As spring continues to emerge after a cold and difficult winter, I've been listening to Josh Ritter's "Lark" a whole lot.

The chorus sings:

I am assured, yes
I am assured, yes
I am assured that peace will come to me
A peace that can, yes, surpass the speed yes,
of my understanding and my need. 



In the wilderness, it's hard to remember the trees that rustle as if to kneel and listen
Or the priestly green answers dressed in labyrinthine

I've had a hard time hearing the heartbeat of a lark, or a lark in my heartbeat. 

The chorus of "Lark" makes reference to Philippians 4:7 (the peace of God passes all understanding). The verse preceding states "Rejoice...The Lord is near." As Holy Week approaches, we grow closer to Jesus. He's coming to Jerusalem and the palms are rustling in anticipation.

The Lord is near. Rejoice. Peace is coming. Christ is coming.
Maybe soon I'll find the lark in my heartbeat.  

No comments:

Post a Comment